Medway is home to a thriving café culture, offering a diverse range of coffee shops and eateries that cater to every taste and preference. From quaint hideaways to bustling brunch spots, the cafes of Medway in 2023 promise an unforgettable culinary journey.
Here is a guide to the best cafes in Medway in no particular order (check the opening days and times on the official websites before visiting to make sure they are open):
Legends Café in Rochester is a cosy and inviting spot, well-regarded for its delightful dining experience and service. Here’s what makes it special:
- Ambience and Location: Situated at 14-16 Victoria Street, Rochester, Legends Café is described as a “real, cozy café.” This warm and welcoming atmosphere makes it an ideal place for a relaxed meal or a casual meet-up with friends or family.
- Cuisine and Menu: Legends Café offers a variety of meal options, including vegetarian choices that have been praised for being both delicious and filling. The café is recognized for its fresh and tasty coffee, a crucial element for any cafe experience. The menu, which caters to different tastes and dietary needs, adds to the cafe’s appeal.
- Service Quality: The café is known for its friendly and quick service, ensuring a pleasant dining experience for its patrons. This level of service is a significant factor in its positive reputation and the high ratings it has received from visitors.
- Accessibility and Service Options: Legends Café is equipped with a wheelchair-accessible entrance and seating, making it an inclusive destination. While they do not offer delivery services, customers can enjoy their meals through dine-in or takeaway options. Their great tea selection is also a highlight, catering to tea enthusiasts and casual drinkers alike.
- Ratings and Recommendations: The cafe has received a high overall rating of 4.45 out of 5, based on 246 reviews from multiple sources. This rating reflects its popularity and the quality of food and service it provides. Additionally, it has been rated 90/100 by Sluurpy, based on 313 reviews, indicating a consistent level of excellence and customer satisfaction.
Legends Café stands out as a charming and well-loved establishment in Rochester, offering a blend of delightful cuisine, a cosy ambiance, and excellent service. It’s a recommended stop for anyone looking for a quintessential British café experience in the area.
Located within the historical Fort Amherst, The Pantry offers a unique blend of history and culinary delight. This café is renowned for its serene environment, where visitors can enjoy a range of coffees, cakes, and scones while being surrounded by historical ambiance. The Pantry stands out for its ability to combine a historical setting with a modern café experience, making it a must-visit for those interested in enjoying a treat in a place steeped in history.
No. 64 Coffee & Brunch
- Cuisine and Menu: No. 64 Coffee & Brunch offers a delightful menu of British cuisine. It is particularly known for its delicious sausage rolls, sausages, and sandwiches, along with a variety of other dishes like rolls, toast, meat, bacon, homemade sausages, pork soup, chicken, poultry, and cheese.
- Atmosphere and Experience: Patrons of No. 64 Coffee & Brunch have praised its fantastic atmosphere, great menu for brunch and lunch, delicious coffee, and homemade cakes and brownies. The café is recognized for its cosy interior and is considered a great addition to the high street.
- Service and Price Range: With a price range of £6 – £15, the café caters to a variety of budgets while offering vegan options for those with specific dietary preferences. It’s lauded for its excellent food and service, making it a preferred destination for a casual and enjoyable dining experience.
Café Nucleus Chatham
Café Nucleus in Chatham is a distinguished establishment, part of a group of award-winning cafes, offering a unique and creative dining experience. Here’s a detailed look at what it offers:
- Location and Ambiance: Nestled amongst palm trees in the heart of Chatham High Street, Café Nucleus is conveniently located within the Nucleus Arts Centre. This setting provides a refreshing and artistic atmosphere, allowing patrons to relax and enjoy their meal in a culturally enriching environment.
- Cuisine and Style: The café is known for its continental style, blending traditional café fare with a European flair. This fusion creates a unique culinary experience, differentiating it from typical cafés. The menu is designed to offer variety and cater to a wide range of tastes, ensuring there is something for everyone.
- Specialties and Offerings: Specializing in locally sourced Kentish food, Café Nucleus Chatham takes pride in its brunch menu. Alongside this, they offer a selection of wines, including English wines, champagnes, spirits, and English sparkling wines. This focus on local and quality ingredients underscores their commitment to providing a high-quality dining experience.
- Reputation and Ratings: The café enjoys a strong reputation, reflected in its high ratings and reviews. It is rated 4.5 out of 5 on Tripadvisor and is ranked as one of the top restaurants in Chatham. This acclaim is based on numerous reviews, highlighting the consistency and quality of both the food and service offered at Café Nucleus.
Café Nucleus Chatham stands out for its unique blend of cultural ambiance, quality local cuisine with a European touch, and a strong commitment to customer satisfaction. It’s not just a place to eat but a destination where art, culture, and gastronomy meet, making it a must-visit spot in Chatham.
Café Nucleus Rochester
Located in one of Rochester’s most majestic buildings, this branch offers more than just coffee and meals. It harmoniously blends the relaxed vibe of a café with the aesthetic appeal of an art gallery. Here, patrons can indulge in luxurious breakfasts, lunches, or dinners from an extensive menu that caters to diverse tastes. Post meal, visitors are encouraged to immerse themselves in the art gallery, making it not just a culinary destination but also a cultural experience. This café embodies a unique concept, seamlessly integrating art and cuisine in a historical setting.
Both Café Nucleus Chatham and Rochester are more than just cafes; they are cultural experiences, offering a fusion of good food, art, and community engagement.
Deaf Cat Coffee
- Location and Contact: Deaf Cat Coffee is situated at 83 High Street, Rochester, Kent. It provides an easy point of contact for feedback and inquiries, reflecting its commitment to customer service and engagement.
- Coffee and Baristas: The café is known for its unique blend of espresso, filter, and decaf coffee, roasted in Medway. This commitment to quality is evident in their product offerings, which are available for purchase in-store. Additionally, their focus on constantly perfecting their coffee through absorbing new techniques and ideas shows a dedication to the craft.
- Atmosphere and Service: Described as a well-established coffee and snack bar, Deaf Cat Coffee is nestled in the historic high street of Rochester. It offers a story behind its unusual name, adding an element of intrigue and charm to the customer experience.
Fleur de Thé
- Location and Hours: Fleur de Thé is located at 132-134 High Street, Rochester, and is open from Monday to Sunday, 10:00 to 17:00. This schedule provides ample opportunity for visitors to enjoy their offerings throughout the week.
- Cuisine and Specialties: As a café and tea room, Fleur de Thé offers a variety of freshly-prepared hot and cold meals, cakes, pastries, and a wide selection of specialty teas. Their menu caters to those looking for a full meal as well as those simply seeking a light snack or a refreshing cup of tea.
- Features and Atmosphere: The cafe is known for its bright and inviting atmosphere, making it a great spot for a relaxing afternoon. They also offer private dining options and are family-friendly, making it a suitable location for different types of gatherings and occasions.
- Reputation: Fleur de Thé has garnered positive reviews and is ranked highly among coffee and tea places in Rochester. This ranking is based on its food quality, service, value, and overall atmosphere, highlighting its excellence in various aspects of the dining experience.
The Cheese Room Deli & Café
- Location and Offerings: Situated at 74 High Street, Rochester, The Cheese Room Deli & Café is a unique establishment where visitors can purchase a variety of cheesy items, wine, bread, charcuterie, and gifts. The café includes a main cheese room, a cosy cellar, and a covered courtyard where guests can savor the cheesy café menu.
- Reputation and Ambience: This café has earned a strong reputation, reflected in its 4.5 out of 5 ratings on Tripadvisor. It ranks as one of the top restaurants in Rochester, known for its British cuisine and vegetarian-friendly options. Its dog-friendly environment and the option to dine in a charming courtyard add to its appeal.
- Culinary Highlights: The Cheese Room Deli & Café is renowned for its perfectly cooked bacon, cheese toasts, cheese bread, and tasty brownies. These dishes are a hit among visitors, contributing to the café’s popularity and positive reviews. Additionally, it has received a high rating of 92/100 on Sluurpy, indicating a consistent level of excellence in both food and service.
Tiny Tim’s Tea Rooms
Tiny Tim’s Tea Rooms in Rochester provides a quintessentially English dining experience, rated highly with a 4.5 out of 5 score from over 1,020 reviews. It’s recognized for its British café cuisine and offers vegetarian-friendly, vegan, and gluten-free options, catering to various dietary needs.
- Breakfast: They offer all-day breakfast, featuring classics like bacon, sausage, and fried egg sandwiches. The menu includes the Dickens breakfast, Bumble’s breakfast, and the Artful Dodger, a hearty option with eggs, bacon, sausages, tomatoes, beans, hash browns, mushrooms, and toast.
- Lunch: For lunch, customers can choose from jacket potatoes with various fillings, a selection of sandwiches and baguettes with fillings like coronation chicken, minted lamb, and pulled pork, as well as sausage rolls, Cornish pasties, and vegan jackfruit rolls. Bangers and mash, chicken curry, and chili con carne are also on the menu.
- Burgers: Their burger menu includes gourmet burgers, cheeseburgers, the Double Daddy burger, and a vegetarian option, all served with chunky chips, coleslaw, and salad.
- Cakes and Drinks: Tiny Tim’s also offers cream teas served with strawberries and clotted cream, various cakes, and a selection of hot drinks like cappuccino, latte, Americano, espresso, tea, flavored tea, and hot chocolate.
Atmosphere: Travellers’ Choice 2023 recipient, the café is appreciated for its excellent food, service, value, and cosy atmosphere, making it a charming destination for both locals and tourists seeking a traditional English café experience.
Rochester Cathedral Tea Room
- Location and Ambience: The Café in the Crypt at Rochester Cathedral, dating back to the 13th Century, presents a unique setting. Open since February 2018, it’s run by volunteers who strive to extend a warm, genuine welcome to all visitors, in line with the Cathedral’s Benedictine foundations.
- Menu and Offerings: This tea room offers a selection of light lunches, desserts, and a variety of teas. Customers can enjoy simple but tasty desserts and more substantial meals according to the menu.
- Special Features: The tea room is recognized as one of the top 25 places in Kent for tea by Kent Life magazine. Notably, in summer, it boasts an outdoor seating area for 58 in a historic garden, which includes a magnificent magnolia tree and a section of a Roman wall dating back to around 200 AD. This adds a historical charm to the tea experience.
- Atmosphere: The café is a perfect spot to relax and enjoy a cream tea, especially after exploring the stunning Rochester Cathedral. The option of sitting out in the sun enhances the experience, especially during pleasant weather.
Peggotty’s in Rochester
- Location and Hours: Peggotty’s is located at 81A High Street, Rochester, Kent, and is open from Tuesday to Sunday, with varying opening hours across these days. It’s a traditional English tearoom situated in the heart of Rochester High Street, offering a cosy and accessible spot for visitors and locals alike.
- Cuisine and Options: The tearoom specializes in British cuisine, offering vegetarian-friendly and gluten-free options. It serves breakfast, lunch, brunch, and notably, afternoon tea. This diversity in options caters to a wide range of dietary preferences and meal choices.
- Atmosphere and Experience: Known for its homemade cakes since 1982, Peggotty’s provides a homely and traditional atmosphere. It’s a popular choice for celebrations like birthdays, as evidenced by the positive reviews of customers who have enjoyed memorable afternoon teas there.
- Reputation: Peggotty’s Parlour is highly rated, with a 4.5 out of 5 rating on TripAdvisor, and is ranked among the top restaurants in Rochester. This rating reflects its quality of food, service, and overall value, making it a favoured destination for tea enthusiasts and those looking for a quintessential English tearoom experience.
Lenny’s of Eastgate
Nestled in the charming streets of Rochester, Lenny’s of Eastgate emerges as a contemporary beacon for coffee enthusiasts and connoisseurs of fine treats. Celebrating its recent opening, this café has quickly become a hub for those seeking new culinary experiences in a modern, inviting atmosphere.
Lenny’s of Eastgate prides itself on offering a selection of freshly brewed coffees, artisanal treats, and innovative products, making it a promising destination for locals and visitors alike. With a commitment to quality and a passion for creating a welcoming community space, Lenny’s of Eastgate is not just a coffee shop, but a new landmark in Rochester’s vibrant café scene. It’s an ideal spot for those looking to savour their coffee in a contemporary setting, while engaging with the lively spirit of the town.
Recommendations from our Facebook Page
Based on recommendations from followers on our Facebook Page, don’t miss out on:
- Tracie’s Cafe Brompton: Praised for its all-day breakfasts, homemade delights, and warm welcome.
- Nutmegs in Rainham: Offers an excellent experience with delicious scones and a friendly atmosphere.
- Fleur de Te in Rochester: Stands out for its traditional afternoon tea served in a unique setting.
- Gillingham Street Angels in Rochester: Known for giving back to the community, this café offers an inviting atmosphere and is often busy due to its popularity.
- Cafenetics: A local spot with a reputation for quality coffee and snacks.
- Parkwood Cafe in Rainham: A favorite in Rainham, celebrated for its excellent food and service.
- Lordswood Cafe: Renowned for its delicious offerings and welcoming atmosphere.
- Rochester RC Cafe: Unique for being located in an RC shop at Rochester Airport, known for cleanliness and friendly staff.
- Ramo’s in Strood: A hidden gem offering quality food and drinks.
- Ticktocks in Rainham Precinct: A lovely café known for its pleasant setting.
- BeanTown: Popular for its diverse coffee selection and inviting ambiance.
- Leonard’s in Store 104: A great spot for enjoying coffee in a relaxed environment.
These additional cafes, recommended by the local community, enhance the café culture in Medway, offering diverse experiences from cosy, traditional settings to modern, eclectic vibes. This guide aims to highlight the best of Medway’s cafes, ensuring that there’s something for every café-goer to enjoy.
Whether you’re seeking a cosy spot for a quick bite or an elegant setting for a leisurely brunch, Medway’s cafes are a testament to its rich culinary landscape. Each café offers a unique experience, contributing to the vibrant and diverse café culture in Medway. So next time you’re in the area, indulge in these culinary delights and experience the local charm of Medway’s best cafes.